Monday, October 7, 2019

THIS IS YOUR (my) LIFE



1:00 pm EST Sunday Oct. 6, 2019
    
     I’m sitting here in my house, steeling myself for the screening of Mike Osterhout and The Church of the Little Green Man in Rhinebeck. It’s part of the Woodstock Film Festival. Of course I’ve seen the film, but this will be the first time I’ll see it amongst strangers. I don’t like sitting in a movie theater, in the dark, with strangers, even when it’s not about me. I wouldn’t say I’m nervous, but I am neurotic. 
    The CLGM has been going on (off and on) since 1986. The film is not historical; concentrating on the past two years in interviews and the filming of multiple services. There are two versions: 14mins. and 16 mins. I prefer the longer one. It’s difficult to write about this without sounding like an ingrate or a pompous asshole. So first let me say this: If someone shows up at your house and wants to do a documentary about your work say yes. It’s a humbling experience to have an objective chronicler come away from a relatively unguarded series of film shoots with something interesting. We look good. The cat is now out of the bag.
    Just to put things in perspective, I neither made nor spent any money on this film. It’s all Roderick Angle’s investment. If he can convince some producer that he is worth investing in for a future project, this film will serve as an example of what he is capable of. I don’t want anybody to invest in the CLGM. We’ll just burn your money. With that said, so far my film festival experience has been less than red carpet worthy. The first sign of this was the fact that I have to pay $10 to see the film. This skin-flinty film fest. approach was compounded when I was invited to participate in a Q&A. So, you want me to pay to watch a film with my name in the title and do a free dog and pony show after the screening? I don’t think WTF? is an adequate response to that. 

Since I have yet to drive to Rhinebeck, I’m gonna stop writing here and fill you in when I get back. I don’t want to say anything I’ll regret.

10:45 pm EST 
   I’m glad I waited. My perspective has totally changed. The film was shown amongst a group of other short films. It’s like being in a group show. When you realize you’re in good company the pressure is off. All my petty animosity disappeared as I watched pigeon racers, struggling fishing families, sisters of murdered brothers and ostracized, menstruating Indian girls alienated by ancient customs. These were real people dealing with real  issues, captured by talented cinematographers and directors. Their stories were poignant and captivating. By the time the CLGM movie came on everybody was ready for some foolishness.
    After the show we had dinner and a couple of bottles of wine, toasting our success. I feel great. The neurosis has lifted. Having one’s work exposed within the documentary context—as rattling as that is—can also be rewarding and gratifying. I want to thank Roderick Angle and cinematographer Mitch Blummer for all their time and money they invested in this project….coming soon to an internet connection near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SOLSTICE FROG AND MRS. CLAUS