Sunday, September 8, 2019

THE ANTIPASTORAL AS INTRA-HISTORICIZER


   For the past three years I’ve immersed myself in local Catskill history and lore; most of it surrounding my family, who have been in these hills since 1653 (see www.fancestor.blogspot.com.) This crash course in the past has given me a pretty good perspective into what’s happening today in politics, climate and corporate capitalism. I’m no expert, but I’m a helluva lot better informed than I was in 2016. It took a lot of concentration, research and reading. I’ve always written plenty, but I’ve never been much of a reader. That’s probably why my grammar can be a little wonky and my punctuation unreliable. I know what it’s like to not want to read.  
     If you think it’s difficult to get people to look at your art or listen to your songs, try writing a book and getting somebody to read it. Everybody has an excuse why they “can’t” read something. Some don’t like reading on the computer. Other’s find the printed word puts them to sleep, while still others suggest you record your tome and read it to them as they go about their day. Why don’t I just come over and read to you as you make coffee fer Christ sake? Even so-called “voracious readers” will shy away from a rough manuscript. One such “reader” told me not to send him anything until it was completely edited and in final form. Thanks a lot asshole! I’ll get you a signed copy when it hits the best seller list. Jeesh!
    Still, I like a challenge, so undeterred I keep posting blogs and once in a while send files off to agents, hoping for a response. No luck yet. The knowledge I gained from my research and reading has been a great side benefit to the process of writing. I had to force myself to read. Now I have a much better perspective on my own little corner of the universe and how we are presently making history. 

   Sometimes when you are in the middle of something you fail to realize how modest actions can have grandiose results. Just look at that Swedish kid skipping school with her SKOLSTREJK FOR KLIMATET sign— school strike week 55. Truancy never looked so good. Again, it’s very similar to conceptual art. A little black paint and plywood and the resolve to just sit there on the steps of parliament, instead of going to class, can change the world. Greta Thunberg is a hero to many and an inspiration to her generation. I am unworthy.
    I’ve been lucky enough to witness (and have a small hand in) creating three “scenes” in my lifetime. The first was San Francisco’s performance/conceptual art nook 1975-1983. The second was New York’s East Village gallery/music scene 1983-1995. The third (final) construction of an interdenominational underground is here in the Catskills 1995-present. Many say all art is political. I’m not so sure about that. I think much is just self-serving crap, made to make a buck or fuel your delusion of rarefied identity. I do that kind too. But what really interests me these days is art that reflects the reality of a world we are trying to make a little better—not necessarily prettier—but less malignant. 
   Recently I told Sarah Budde how thrilled I was to be on three group email chains: one for The Band of All Faiths, another for our weekly boozed up get togethers Thirsty Thursdays, and the final (most entertaining one) The Mountain Dale Merchants Association. This one is filled with petty arguments, blame games, strategies for capitalism and solid ideas on how to trap tourists into buying $12 cocktails. I try not to stick my nose in too often, but sometimes just can’t resist.  Through some weird quirk of fate a core of about thirty very creative, oddball, sweet, hardworking, complex, communal individuals and their families have plopped down right HERE! We are making history in spite of ourselves. All it takes is some art supplies and a plan. Sarah just laughed at my joy of receiving three email chains and informed me that most people are on about 70. Thank God I’m not that inundated with other people’s bullshit. Three chains is plenty. I got time and plenty of ideas. Let me know if I can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SOLSTICE FROG AND MRS. CLAUS